The 2020 Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro may have been outshined by the Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series, but it is still undoubtedly a formidable foe on the race track. In a video from 2020 SCC500 Rolling50 1000, the sports car was filmed taking on a couple of modified sports cars.
As a recap, the AMG GT R Pro houses the same 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 engine as the Black Series. However, its specs have settled at 577 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. The output is directed towards a rear-wheel-drive system and distributed via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. The configuration takes the car from 0 to 100 km/h in just 3.6 seconds and its top speed is capped at 318 km/h.
In addition to the other elements found in the standard AMG GT, the AMG GT R Pro is fitted with AMG Ride Control coil-over suspension that offers manual adjustment for damping. It lets the driver determine the spring rate, rebound, and compression of the auto via the adjustment wheels on the dampers.
The car is only limited to 750 examples worldwide with an introductory price of $199,650. That’s around half the price of the more expensive Black Series.
Based on the description of the video, the AMG GT R Pro only reached 264.64 km/h during the event. The output and top speed of its rivals were as follows:
- 1,036 hp BMW M6 F13 with max speed of 306.87 km/h
- 980 hp BMW M3 E46 with max speed of 302.47 km/h
- 850 hp Porsche 911 991.2 HPT with max speed of 302.02 km/h
- 800 hp BMW M5 F90 HPT with max speed of 285.95 km/h
- 750 hp BMW M3 F80 with max speed of 279.29 km/h
- 650 hp Dodge SRT Viper GTS with max speed of 254.41 km/h
- 420 hp BMW 1 Series with max speed of 229.65 km/h