Key Specs and Photos of the 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLEGiancarlo Perlas June 23, 2015
The 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE is one of the hottest offerings of the three-pointed star brand this year. The SUV will be replacing the M-Class, which won’t be on sale for long.
Due to the GLE and M-Class having the same lineage, many can’t help but compare the two. So what makes the GLE better than the M-Class?
Here are the key features of the SUV:
Basically, the GLE is a facelifted version of the M-Class. The new SUV took things a bit further though by featuring a fresher fascia. That’s thanks to its new front bumpers, lighting system, and hood. These things carried the amazing appeal of the latest E-Class core series with them. After all, the GLE and the E-Class are related anyway. However, the sides remained untouched. As for the rear, only the tail lights were updated.
Going inside would reveal a whole new interior compared to the M-Class. Again, the interior design of the GLE mirrored the one found on its sedan counterpart. One nice improvement in the unit is the transfer of the COMAND controller right next to the driver’s arm, which makes it more accessible. Then there’s the bigger display screen in the dashboard, plus the revised steering wheel and pedals. New wood and carbon fiber trims are available in the cabin of the unit too.
There are six engine options confirmed by the brand so far for the GLE. These are:
- The GLE 300d, the only diesel-powered model of the vehicle, gets the 2.1-liter turbo four-cylinder with 201 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque.
- The GLE 350 carries the petrol 3.5-liter V6 unit with 302 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque.
- The GLE 400 takes the 3.0-liter petrol biturbo V6 with 329 hp and 354 lb-ft of torque.
- The GLE 550e is equipped with the same combustion engine found on the GLE 400, but it is partnered with a hybrid module giving it an overall output of 436 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque.
- A 5.5-liter biturbo AMG V8 engine is installed in the GLE 63 providing it an output of 550 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque.
- Lastly, the GLE 63 S gets the same engine as the GLE 63, but it is tuned to deliver up to 577 hp and 561 lb-ft of torque.
The Mercedes-Benz GLE offers six driving modes that aim to cater to the preferences of the driver, and various road conditions. The modes are Comfort, Sport, Slippery, Off-Road Light, and Individual. An extra Off-Road+ mode can be added by availing the Off-Road Package of the brand. Among the other key technological features of the SUV are the eight-inch display, Crosswind Assist and Collision Prevention Assist Plus, Airmatic, Active Curve System, and Distronic Plus.
The cost for the GLE starts at $52,025, including destination charges. That will get you the GLE 350 model.
Check out the latest official photos of the 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE in the gallery below: