There are few things as disruptive as being involved in a car accident with your Mercedes, especially a serious one in which you or others are seriously injured.
You need to handle the chaos at the accident scene, make sure the injured are taken care of, communicate with emergency responders and traffic police. You also need to collect evidence and swap contact details with other drivers.
All of this whilst keeping your head about you and not incriminating yourself.
Let’s look at what to do after getting in a car accident.
To Speed Dial or not to Speed Dial – That is the Question!
Do it right now. Put your specialized personal injury lawyer into your cell phone speed dial list.
You will thank me for this one day when you urgently need legal advice at the scene of a car accident. (I sincerely hope you never need the number).
Car accidents are often frantic scenes of chaos – especially when people have been injured. However, a quick call to your lawyer will put you in a position of strength as you will have fresh legal advice and can act accordingly.
List of Do’s
Here is a shortlist of things to do at the scene of the accident:
- Remain calm and do not be aggressive with anybody even if they caused the accident
- Remain at the accident scene
- Call 911 and ask them to call for traffic police
- Attend to the injured whilst waiting for 911 to arrive
- Call your lawyer – remember – he is on speed dial!
- Swap contact and insurance details and vehicle license details with the other driver
- Collect evidence
- Get witness statements,
- Take photo and video evidence – your cell phone is excellent for this
- Take dictation notes or written notes and save them on your phone
- Get a copy of the police report
- Give your statement to the police and try to get a copy of the report
- Make a note of the traffic police names, numbers and contact details
List of Don’ts
Here is a shortlist of don’ts at the accident scene and in the days following the accident:
- Don’t admit guilt even if you think it was your fault
- Don’t communicate directly with insurance company representatives, including your own. This is something your attorney should do.
- Don’t tough it out after an accident. Instead, visit a hospital and get your injuries assessed.
- Don’t forget to keep a detailed record of all expenses incurred as a result of an accident
- Don’t wait before having your lawyer assess whether you have a personal injury claim; the sooner, the better.
Mercedes car accidents can ruin your day, especially when it results to injuries or damage to properties. First, however, take the steps outlined above. Then, you will be able to take control of the situation and get your day back on track as quickly as possible.
Your actions at the scene of the accident can make your life a lot easier in the coming months after the accident.