When you buy your pride and joy, it’s got a sheen and shine to it that mesmerizes passersby. However, as time goes by, a layer of dirt will form, and your Mercedes’ paintwork will look a little duller than usual. To keep your car looking good for longer, you need to take care of the paint on your Mercedes-Benz regularly.
Car washing tips
The foundation of any well-kept car is to ensure you clean and wash it frequently. This can stop stains and muck from settling and eroding the paintwork, as well as halting any discoloration.
Washing your car does not have to be overcomplicated. Of course, if you have the time and money, you can have your Mercedes-Benz professionally cleaned on a regular basis. If you want to do it yourself, make sure you do the following:
- Use special car shampoo designed for your type of car. For instance, you have to use Mercedes-Benz Car Shampoo along with water to remove dirt before it bonds to the paid and causes irreversible damage.
- Refrain from washing your car in direct sunlight or in warm weather. Instead, wash your car in the shade and in a cooler climate. This is so the water doesn’t dry too quickly.
- Only use products approved for your specific Mercedes-Benz. Dishwashing liquid, for example, can cause your car’s color to fade. You should also not use any household cleaning agents like hand soap or glass cleaner as it may strip off the protective wax.
- After washing but before polishing, use the Mercedes-Benz Paint Cleaner. This will help restore the car’s finish.
Cleaning your car can go a long way to protecting your Mercedes-Benz; however, there are many ways to safeguard your car’s paintwork even further.
How to protect your paintwork
Once you have thoroughly cleaned your vehicle, it’s time to apply the right polish to its exterior for added protection.
- Polish your Mercedes-Benz with the Mercedes-Benz Paint Care so that you restore the finish to your car.
- To detect any leftover contaminants, run a clean cloth across the surface of your vehicle. You can also use your hand (make sure it is dry, though). A clean surface should feel smooth to the touch.
- Park your car in a garage, if one is available to you. Alternatively, you can cover your car with a sheet when it is not in use.
Repairing deep scratches and chips
You could be the best car owner on the planet, but sadly your vehicle could be defaced or caught in a crash, causing deep scratches and chips. Repairing such issues can be costly. Firstly, if the accident is not your fault, learn how the car accident settlement process works so that you can potentially claim for damages. A car accident settlement can help you recoup the costs for accident-related costs. Once the settlement has been dealt with, you can go about repairing your Mercedes-Benz.
- Speak to a specialist
- Find an exact match to your car’s paintwork
- Clean and prepare your vehicle
- Prepare the damaged area. Use newspaper and masking tape to avoid you getting paint on the surrounding area.
- Apply your color
- Once the color has dried, apply the clear coat and wait until it has hardened. This could take anything between 30-minutes to two days.
- Flatten the area by using an abrasive rubbing or cutting compound
Scratches and discoloration happen to the best of us. However, there are many ways for you to protect your vehicle’s paintwork. Use the correct products, regularly wash your car’s exterior, and keep as many contaminants from your car as possible.