Mercedes-Benz is truly the master when it comes to combining the elements of innovation and artistry. In the currently held Goodwood Festival of Speed, among the event’s main attractions is the centerpiece display made by Gerry Judah at the Goodwood House.
The architecture highlighted the milestone of the German marque this year in its history of motorsport. It should be noted that this year marks the company’s 120th anniversary in motorsport.
As seen in the picture above, Judah made two merging arcs with a race car on each of its lanes. The arc starts from the center of the Goodwood House going to its front lawn. The structure is considered by observers as the most ambitious and complex to date. The curve has a span of approximately 45 meters with a length of 90 meters and weight of 160 tonnes.
The two cars featured on the arcs were a replica of the 1934 Mercedes-Benz W25 Silver Arrow and the 2013 Mercedes AMG Petronas W04 Formula One car. It should be noted that the W04 featured there uses a chassis similar to the one utilized by Hamilton in the 2013 season of F1.
What makes the two cars significant in the history of Mercedes-Benz is that the W25 is the first race car of the brand to be equipped with an eight cylinder engine. On the other hand, the W04 is the last to use the eight-cylinder engine.
The Mercedes-Benz Architecture at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
Check out the photos below for a look at the magnificent centerpiece display featuring the race cars of Mercedes from different generations: