Chris Harris of /Drive pitted the Mercedes E63 AMG, the BMW M6 Gran Coupe and the Jaguar SFR-S in a three-way dance to test which one would perform best on certain conditions. The common denominator of these cars is that they all have engines with outputs more than 550 hp.
Tale of the Tape
First, here’s a look on the key specs of the cars:
- The Mercedes E63 AMG’s engine is a V8 biturbo with an output of 585 hp, 590 lb-ft of torque and an overall weight of 1845 kg.
- The BMW M6 Grand Coupe has 560 hp, 501 lb-ft of torque and total weight of 1950 kg.
- The Jaguar XFR-S has 550 hp, 501 lb-ft of torque and it is 1987 kg heavy.
Mercedes E63 AMG vs BMW M6 Gran Coupe vs Jaguar XFR-S
Check out the video below featuring how each car performed on sharp bends and how each fared on a three-way speed test:
Results (Spoiler Alert!)
Well, knowing how Harris always favored the BMW, as he admitted in most of his videos and looking at the twinkle in his eyes while he was behind the wheel of the M6, it certainly got most of the highlights. But here are his remarks about the Mercedes E63 AMG:
- Mercedes E63 AMG is easily the most powerful of the three based on their specs.
- For a saloon car, it has the best steering among the three.
- The brakes are impressive.
- It has the lightest feel among the others.
But when he got the three on a race, the BMW car outshined the rest. It was able to go from zero to 60 mph in just a span of 4.0 seconds compared to the E63 AMG’s 4.2 seconds and XFR-S’ 4.6 seconds.
It should be noted though that the Benz used in the video was only a two-wheel drive version because it is the only version available in Britain where Harris resides. Then, another noteworthy detail that should be mentioned is that the gearbox of the BMW M6 is specially made for racing while the Mercedes E63 AMG is for actual traffic conditions and for everyday use.
Harris actually admitted that some people in his group preferred the Merc due to the said factor, but still he stood firm on his personal choice which is the M6.